February 22, 2009

Bombadils and fibres


Bombadils
Originally uploaded by taikasatama

I finished my Bombadil socks! I love the pattern, it's one of those things that look more complicated than they are. Because I used a heavier weight yarn, I knit with a tight gauge and knit the sole in ribbing and while the socks are a bit on the loose side, they aren't too big. I had a bit of trouble following the pattern after making the heel, but by that point I just decided to improvise the rest because it was quite obvious what the pattern was supposed to look like.

The yarn is Mirasol Miski, a worsted weight made with llama. After my succesful Araucania Copihue socks I'm trying to find other warmer-than-wool fibres and see if they help my cold feet. This yarn was lovely in all other ways but I have to say that in my feet alpaca is noticeably warmer.

But, this yarn IS almost silky, has a bit of shine to it, the colourways are gorgeous and just worth trying out! I have a little bit of it left and wonder what to do with it.

Or actually, I have two growing piles of leftovers, one is green and the other is purple. Maybe some day I'll make one, (well ok, two) of those scrap yarn scarves that are made with different weights of the same colour. The only thing is that those scarves are beautiful to look at but not exactly my style. Hmm.

No comments: