September 01, 2009

Firestarters


Firestarters
Originally uploaded by taikasatama

I guess these socks are a good way to start the autumn season:) I'm back at home after the summer, feeling a little blue because I would have loved to stay in the capital area and will do my best to be able to head back there as soon as I can. On the other hand I am getting slightly excited about school and new classes and such, even though at this point I'll just have to be working hard with the thesis. For which I still need a subject...

But, knitting, socks, yay! These are Firestarters, obviously. I got a skein of Flydesigns Monarch in Ravelry destash and wanted to try it out in a nice pattern that works in variegated yarn. I... am not too sure if I like the way these look like. Not enough pooling or not enough solid green:) I like my socks either pooling like mad or then semisolid with a complex pattern. This yarn might have looked better in a chevron type pattern instead.

The yarn itself is great, though. It's very similar to STR and Jitterbug, but slightly thicker, perhaps more like STR mediumweight? It has a similar tight twist which I just love. It just needs to get a Finnish retailer!

I've been also occupied with mitten design. I am slowly working my way into colourwork and fairisle type of colour usage but I suddenly have troubles with finding a good, reliable yarn source. I mean, sure, there are Satakieli, even Vuorelma's Kampalanka for the most complex things (I will get there one day, I promise!) and then there is Pirkkalanka in a heavier weight. But, I'd need a yarn with a huge amount of colours and also semisolids or variegated colourways. Cascade 220 comes closest, but even that doesn't have all the variegated colours I'd need. Or then I'd need to reconsider the colourways.

No comments: