June 03, 2008

Singles before plying


Singles before plying
Originally uploaded by taikasatama

Whee! Look at all that green! It took me three weeks to spin all of the huge bunch of green fibre a friend gave me, but I am finally finished!

What I had initially was roving in three shades of green. Then I spent one night going through the whole roving and separating the three different greens into their own piles. And then I spun those piles, one colours at a time. In between colour changes, I mixed both lighter and darker shade of roving together in order to get a more graduating colour changing effect. You can see it best in the lower left corner of the picture.

After spinning all those laceweight singles (about 1300 metres, oh my dear god!) I plied them together. Initially I was a little worried that I'd have different lengths of each colour and so the colour changed wouldn't match up, but they did almost perfectly! I was so glad because I think it meant that my spinning was quite consistent.

Pictures of the plied yarn and hopefully even the project I'll make with it to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big WOW. I am impressed!!!! You did a great job. I love the green. Now I am curious what you will do with it. Or just sit there and look at the beauty?