January 06, 2008

Spinning!


Spinning!
Originally uploaded by taikasatama

I think I finally got the hang of it! A friend gave me a tiny batch of roving she didn't have use for and I thought to spin it up, even though it really has been a while since I used my spindle. It was such a tiny batch that I thought I wouldn't have time to get frustrated before I ran out:)

Anyhow, somewhere in the middle of spinning it I just realised how it works; how to make the spindle whirl evenly and how to "feed" the wool. And to keep the yarn quite thin, too, so that I can ply it as well. This batch is laceweight at finest and fingering at thickest, with a few thicker batches here and there. But it got even the more I was spinning, of course.

And now I want to spin myself enough yarn to make something of it. Too bad you can knit and spin at the same time, I wouldn't have to decide how to use my time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, what beautyful yarn. makes me want to take out my spindle again, too.

Maria said...

Beautiful yarn. When I see this I really wonder why I am not interested in spinning ... Oh, come and see my knitted dress on my weblog! Have a nice day, Maria